Happy Sunday everyone! A small gathering was hosted today by Amanda. Simeon read the Bible story and also preached the sermon through the book Jesus Creed
This week we continued reading about Jesus going with His family to Jerusalem for Passover and talking to the rabbis and priests. They were amazed at His knowledge!
Simeon also kept going through the book Jesus Creed by Scot McKnight.
Some things we talked about…
- The different approaches to reading and studying the Bible
- Different themes in the Gospels
- Recognizing that God is our Father and He loves us!
- How Jesus almost always refers to God as Father while praying
- We read through a few parables like the story of the Prodigal Son
- We discussed participating in the feast at the end of history – celebrating the Kingdom of God.
This week the Franklin’s hosted.
The story for the children was about Joseph, Mary, and Jesus traveling to Jerusalem for the Passover feast.
For the sermon we read through James 5 and the theme of the sermon was confessions.
We talked about…
- How confessions happen
- Which religions take part in them
- The rules of confession
Then Justin read a Lutheran confession and we had a silent moment of confession and prayer.
Lastly, we had an anointing service for Josh and his recent back pains. Get well Josh!
We are officially half way through the year. How crazy is that. 😛
This week Amanda hosted us.
Today we read the story about Joseph, Mary, and Baby Jesus fleeing to Egypt because Herod ordered all babies under two killed.
Not the most lovely story… 🙁
We are now done with studying Mark and switching over to a more topical sermon for a bit.
Simeon is using a book to base his sermons off of. The book is called “Jesus Creed” by Scot McKnight. (Goodreads)
We talked about…
- What the word ‘creed’ means
- Some religious habits of the Jews that Jesus would have practiced
- The similarities and differences between the Lord’s Prayer and the Kaddish
- We read over Mark 12:28-34 and talked about how to understand the “greatest command”